With numerous beaches, dozens of amazing viewpoints, a fascinating maritime history, and plenty of unique fauna and flora, it’s impossible to fit everything that Cape Point has to offer in one visit. This is our selection of the most popular things to see and do when you next visit Cape Point:
- Take in some of the most breathtaking ocean and mountain scenery in the world.
- Ride the Flying Dutchman Funicular up to the viewing point, below the old lighthouse.
- Sample world-class cuisine and enjoy the most spectacular vistas over False Bay at the Two Oceans Restaurant.
- Shop for curios and mementos at the three Cape Point shops.
- Discover cultural and historical spots, including monuments to explorers such as Vasco da Gama and Bartolomeu Dias.
- Great swimming spots, picnic sites and walks at the Bordjiesrif and Buffels Bay tidal pools.
- Photograph the more than 1 100 indigenous plant species that grow nowhere else in the world.
- Watch massive whales moving past Cape Point on their annual migration (around June to October) .
- Keep an eye out for 250 bird species occurring here, including some endemic to the area.
- Spot the Cape mountain zebra and the world’s largest antelope, the eland, among a variety of other fauna.
- Walk the shipwreck trail to view a few of the 26 recorded shipwrecks around Cape Point.
- Hike along a wide variety of scenic and overnight trails through natural fynbos and along sandy beaches.
- Take part in a range of exciting outdoor activities, such as sea kayaking and mountain biking.
- Explore a wide variety of stunning dive sites that lie waiting to be explored on both sides of the Point.
- Always keep a lookout for the legendary ghost ship – The Flying Dutchman!
Don’t forget to download the free Cape Point Audio Tour. Click here to find out how.